Fibre Mood/Named/Butterick mega jumpsuit

If it isn't the permanent year of the jumpsuit/boilersuit for you, well it certainly is for me (the #sewtogetherforsummer ladies have made a challenge that truly speaks to me)! After the success with my first Fibre Mood Carmella, I started dreaming up all manner of hackable possibilities for the pattern. So here's my jumpsuit mega mash up, starting with Carmella and combining two of my other long time favourite (and also perfectly hackable) patterns.

Carmella jumpsuit hack!
I'll start by saying this was such a no think hack - no big adjustments, just taping my favourite elements of each pattern together. I swapped the slim legs of the Carmella out in favour of my absolute favourite Butterick B6178 Culottes in view D, simply lining up the grainlines/crotches of both pattern pieces. The B6178s have come in handy for a number of hacks (like this one and this one) mainly because they're so easy to just tack onto different bodices.

All my fave patterns pooled
The sleeves come from the Named Clothing Reeta Shirt Dress - again, another pattern that for me, has many miles. The Reeta usually ends up as a shirt for me, and I don't usually favour the turn up sleeves, but when balanced with the volume of the culotte legs, they just seemed right. For ease, I stuck with the existing sleeve head (they didn't differ massively anyway) and just used the length and instructions from the Reeta to create the turn up.

And just a few little details... The inseam pockets of the Carmella are quite shallow, so I mashed them together with the B6178 pockets for extra depth - I mean, phones are getting bigger these days, baby pockets are of no use to me. I would have quite liked to use the chest pockets from the Reeta too, but previous experience tells me they are unfortunately just too fussy for my full bust, so I stuck with the originals.

This was quite a fabric-intensive and fairly experimental project, so I picked out a bargain mid-weight poly-mix with a bit of stretch - it has a bit of a crepe feel/drape to it - for £4 a metre from Lucky Fashion in Dewsbury. I used 3m in total.

Unbelted, it's a bit of a baggy romper!

The fabric is weightier than my previous Carmella, so it's turned out a bit heavier and looser than the last version, but it definitely has the 'secret pyjama' value to it. In all, it's more casual than I was intending, but still easy and versatile to wear and I'm really please that all my favourite patterns came together successfully!

Regardless of how fancy it turned out, I made it to wear to a fancy work event I had to go to on day 1 of this year's Me Made May, and of course, I stuck to it - I was even hand hemming the trouser legs on the morning. I wore it with trainers all day and dressed it up with posh shoes and a bag for the evening do.

Dressing it up!
The sleeve heads need an edit next time. The Carmella has a slight drop shoulder, which the weight and little bit of stretch in this fabric emphasised more than I would have liked. I ended up unpicking the sleeves and sewing them with a really deep seam allowance across the sleeve head, but obviously it's better to have things right from the start, so I'll be giving the pattern a little tweak before the next version.

And yes! There will of course be a next time as I'm a firm believer in sticking with things once you've found something you like. I'd really like to wear a similar jumpsuit to a friend's wedding this summer, but I think the fabric needs to be ever so slightly lighter/more luxe for the occasion. I'm on the hunt the perfect fabric now and have until August. If anyone has any suitable suggestions, please let me know!

Stay in touch!

Me Made May 2019 - the mid way point

'I, Shauni of, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May 2019. I endeavour to wear full me made outfits (minus underwear and shoes!) for the duration of May 2019, and aim to 'dress the way I want to feel' throughout the month (i.e. confident, cool, bold, fun) rather than reaching for the same old safe choices.'

Week One - garments linked below if blogged!
1st - Fibre Mood Carmella, Named Reeta Shirt Dress and B6178 culotte jumpsuit hack
2nd - Trend Patterns TPC10 Wide Leg Flares, sleeveless Papercut Patterns Rise Turtleneck and Named Reeta Shirt hack
3rd- Papercut Patterns Fall Turtleneck and self drafted side split skirt
4th - Fibre Mood Carmella Jumpsuit and sleeveless Papercut Patterns Rise Turtleneck 
5th - Vintage Prima Magazine pattern trousers, True Bias Nikko Top, Ready to Sew Julien Jacket 

Week Two - garments linked below if blogged
8th - Trend Patterns TPC10 Wide Leg Flares, Papercut Patterns Fall Turtleneck, Papercut Patterns Waver Jacket
9th - True Bias Lander Pants, Pretty Mercerie Sayan Blouse, Papercut Patterns Rise Turtleneck
10th - Named Reeta Shirt hack, M7661 Trousers, Closet Case Patterns Nettie t-shirt
11th - Ralph Pink Sahara Shirt
12th - Ready to Sew Jazz/B6178 jumpsuit hack, Papercut Patterns Fall Turtleneck
13th - B6178 Culottes, True Bias Nikko Top
14th - Named Reeta Shirt hack, DP Studio Le 411 Skirt

Just a little belated look at the first two weeks of Me Made May, rather than saving it all up for one monster post at the end of the month... I've been pretty pleased with the variety in my outfits so far, though I did have a small crisis of confidence on the 11th/12th, owing to it being the weekend and having too much time time to chose what to wear! Other than that, the sun is shining, I've had a haircut, and Paris Sewcial is on the cards for week three!

Stay in touch!

Thanks for visiting!

Thanks for visiting!